The build-up of biofilm within a Dental Unit Water Line (DUWL) is a natural phenomenon that results in bacterial contamination of water expressed from the water lines and as such renders the water as not drinking quality standard.
The Alpron system has been designed to remove the biofilm build-up in dental units, plus is an ongoing treatment preventing regrowth and hence ensuring drinking quality water from the unit.
Alpron has been clinically proven to be both effective and is now recognised as a “Product of Choice” in all areas of dentistry.
Unlike other products available there is no need to perform a weekly flush as the Alpron solution is used continually within the DUWLs which eliminates one less procedure for the dental team.
Before you can begin using Alpron to maintain your DUWL you need to remove any residual biofilm and chemical in the chair.
Starter Kit Guidance
Step 1 – Check your kit
Check the contents of your starter kit to ensure you have the following items:
- 1 ltr Alpron concentrate
- 1 packet of blue citric acid crystals with a small bottle of activator
- 1 10g sachet of red enzymatic crystals
- 1 100ml bottle of BC-SAN100
- 1 mixing jug, funnel & 5 ltr canister
- 2 red dipslides with labels
- 1 instruction book
Step 2 – Pre-treatment dipslide
- Complete pre-treatment red sampler to identify the presence of biofilm contamination and note down the CFU count as “pre-treatment” count.
Step 3 – Surgery preparation
- Remove all instruments from the dental unit. This includes 3 in 1 syringe, turbines, motors, scalers, etc.
- Ensure that any filters in the water lines are removed. If any large pieces of biofilm are loosened, you will prevent potential blockages in the fine lumen of the instruments by following this step.
Step 4 – Enzymatic crystals
- Introduce the red enzymatic crystals to the unit through the clean water bottle.
- Empty the red crystals into the mixing jug.
- Fill up to the 2 ltr mark with warm tap water (50°C).
- Pour the solution into the water bottle.
- Operate all equipment, in turn, to pump the solution into the water lines until you see the bright red coloured solution coming from the water lines.
- Leave the solution in the lines for 15 minutes.
DO NOT LEAVE THE SOLUTION IN PLACE FOR ANY MORE THAN 15 MINS
- After 15 minutes, flush all of the remaining solution through the unit, switching between each outlet in turn. Remember to use all of the mixed solution – this may mean reflling the bottle several times.
- As the bottle empties, continue to flush the solution through until air is purging from the outlet. Continue for 30 seconds using a pulsed action on the foot control – this will ensure any loose bio?lm is forced from the water lines.
Step 5 – Citric acid
- Introduce the citric acid solution using the same technique as above.
- Rinse the mixing jug to ensure all traces of enzymatic crystals are gone.
- Pour the citric acid crystals (blue powder) into the mixing jug.
- Fill up to the 2 ltr mark with HOT tap water (50 – 60°C).
- Mix to ensure the crystals fully dissolve.
- Add the contents of the activator bottle (small green solution).
- Fully mix again.
- Using the funnel, fill up the water bottle with the mixed blue solution.
- In turn, operate all equipment to pump the solution into the water lines until you see the blue solution coming out.
- Leave the solution in the lines for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes flush, the remaining solution through the unit, switching between each outlet in turn. Remember to use all of the mixed solution – this may mean refilling the bottle several times.
- As the bottle empties continue to flush the until air is purging from the outlet, continue for 30 seconds using a pulsed action on the foot control – this will ensure any loose biofilm is forced from the water lines.
You are now ready to use the maintenance solution – Alpron
Please note – if your chair is particularly old, has very rigid tubing, or heavy contamination, please complete an “intensive weekend treatment” using the Bilpron product.
Using Alpron at 1% after completing starter kit
Step 6 – Disinfection of the clean water bottle
- Decontaminate and disinfect the physical water bottle using BC-SAN 100 to ensure there is no recontamination from the bottle itself.
- Take the 100ml bottle of BC-SAN 100 and dispense a little of the neat solution on a clean paper towel.
- Wipe the external surfaces of the bottle, paying particular attention to the neck and thread of the bottle.
- Empty the remaining neat solution into the water bottle and fill with hand hot water.
- Leave for 5 minutes, unless heavily contaminated and stained, in which case leave overnight to allow the solution to disinfect and bleach the bottle.
- Empty the solution from the bottle and rinse with distilled water.
- Repeat this process every three months.
Step 7 – Mixing the solution
- Mix up the Alpron maintenance solution at a 1% concentration.
- Using the Alpron measuring cap, add 50ml to the 5 ltr storage canister.
- Fill the canister to the 5 ltr mark with distilled water, if available, or tap water.
- Label the canister with the date the mixture was made. We recommend only making enough Alpron for a weeks use. Ensure you rinse the container thoroughly before refilling with fresh Alpron.
- Fill the clean water bottle using the mixed Alpron solution.
- Operate the equipment until the contents of half a bottle have passed through the unit. Include the tumbler filler if this is connected to the unit. This will remove any residual chemical.
Your chair is now ready for use. Reattach all filters and handpieces. Remember to conduct your post-treatment dipslide test after using Alpron for 7 days.