This course will provide the dental team who take x-rays and have other roles in the production of an x-ray image with information relating to the Properties of Radiation, Radiation Hazards and Dosimetry.
It provides the following elements in compliance with Schedule 3 of IR(ME)R 2017.
Properties of Radiation
- Excitation and ionisation
- Attenuation of ionising radiation
- Scattering and absorption
Radiation Hazards and Dosimetry
- Biological effects of radiation – stochastic and deterministic
- Risks and benefits of radiation
- Absorbed dose, equivalent dose, effective dose, other dose indicators and their units
iLearn recommends that you complete the full series of training courses in this subject to ensure you have the required information to support you in this area.
Once you have completed this course, please move on to Radiography for Dentists & Dental Radiographers (Course 2): Safe Working Practices in the Dental Clinic.
Completion of all five courses suitable for your job role complies with IR(ME)R and IRR requirements.
You will be presented with a short presentation followed by an assessment.
If you achieve 80% or more, you pass the course and will receive a printable certificate to place in your CPD folder.
If you do not pass, you will have the opportunity to review the content and retake the assessment when you feel confident.
This course aims to provide the dental team who take x-rays and have other roles in the production of an x-ray image with information relating to characteristics of x-rays, radiation dose, putting dose into perspective, and biological effects of exposure to ionising radiation.
Meeting requirements in the IR(ME)R 2017 - Regulation 17, IRR 2017 - Regulation 15 and the 2001 Guidance Notes for Dental Practitioners.
Learners will be able to:
- Define the characteristics of x-rays.
- Explain the concepts of radiation dose.
- Identify levels of dose from medical, artificial and natural sources of radiation.
- Describe the biological effects of exposure to ionising radiations.
The learner understands:
- The characteristics of x-rays.
- The concepts of radiation dose.
- The dose levels from medical, artificial and natural sources of radiation.
- The biological effects of exposure to ionising radiation.