This course will provide the dental team who take x-rays and have other roles in the production of an x-ray image with information relating to the compliance with safe working practices in the dental clinic.
It provides the following elements in compliance with schedule 3 of IR(ME)R 2017
- General radiation protection
- Use of radiation protection devices
- Hand-held x-ray units
iLearn recommends that you complete the full series of training courses in this subject to ensure you have the required information to support you in this area.
Once you have completed this course, please move onto Radiography for Dentists & Dental Radiographers (Course 3): Statutory Requirements, Non-Statutory Regulations & Special Attention Areas.
Completion of all five courses suitable for your job role complies with IR(ME)R and IRR requirements.
You will be presented with a short presentation followed by an assessment.
If you achieve 80% or more, you pass the course and will receive a printable certificate to place in your CPD folder. If you do not pass, you will have the opportunity to review the content and retake the assessment when you feel confident.
The aim of this course is to provide the dental team who take or have a role in the production of an x-ray image with information relating to the factors affecting doses to staff with shielding issues in dental practice design and the safety aspects for different radiographic techniques (intra-oral (including hand-held units), extra-oral (including CBCT).
Meeting requirements in the IR(ME)R 2017 - Regulation 17, IRR 2017 - Regulation 15 and the 2001 Guidance Notes for Dental Practitioners.
Learners will be able to:
- Define the types of hazards present
- Identify general radiation safety in the dental practice including contingency plans
- Identify the responsibilities of staff
- Outline the safety aspects for intra-oral radiography
- Outline the safety aspects for the use of hand-held x-ray units
- Outline CBCT shielding safety requirements
The learner understands:
- The types of hazards present
- General radiation safety in the dental practice including contingency plans
- The responsibilities of staff
- The safety aspects for intra-oral radiography
- The safety aspects for the use of hand-held x-ray units
- CBCT shielding safety requirements